Saturday 25 February 2017

Evaluation Part 1: " In What Ways Does Your Media Product Use, Develop or Challenge Forms and Conventions of Real Media Products? "

A music video follows the conventions of the typical and stereotypical influences that are imposed through the music video theory of Goodwin's Analysis Theory. After being part of a group previously, I decided to leave and venture into creating my own separate music video just over a month ago from now. I decided to create a romantic pop/ballad music video to Ariana Grande's - 'Tattooed Heart'.

I researched into various music videos within this similar genre of ballads and what I found in particular was the majority of these music videos featured heavily the artist and followed a simple yet relatable narrative. So, by learning from this, I decided to indeed follow this convention by heavily featuring my artist Chloe and keeping a simple yet relatable narrative of romance that the audience watching can strongly relate to. Within my music video, it follows the narrative of a young couple going on a date together at the Canary Wharf London Winter Lights Event. Throughout my video, it shows the two being heavily in love doing typical things that young couples do - for example - holding hands, hugging, kissing and chasing after each other. This is a common narrative seen within other real music video products. 

As my music video progresses, it also heavily features the singers iconic elements, which are the dazzling lights and the projector love hearts. I decided to use this because by looking at other conventional ballad/pop music videos like Ariana Grande's, her music videos usually consists of compelling and engaging visual effects. So, I felt as though it was more than essential to incorporate this idea/technique into my own music video through those props. I used christmas lights for the dazzling lights scenes and a projector which projected animated love hearts in front of and behind Chloe. I also learnt that most conventional music videos within this genre often have their mise - en - scene within their music video relate, be symbolic and represent the words being sung within the song. So, I again found it more than essential and necessary to do this in my video. For example, when Chloe sings the words 'Tattooed Heart' on the second verse/chorus, there is a focus pull from a blurry dazzling light heart to a clear and focused heart, which relates towards the words being sung in the song. 

I also discovered how the pacing of the majority of music videos essentially are fast paced and cuts in almost every shot to engage and keep the audience attracted and not become tired of what they're seeing on screen. As I found this to be a crucial element within real music video products such as Ariana Grande's 'Dangerous Woman' music video, I knew I also had to closely follow this convention in order to ensure that my music video fits within the conventions of what a music video should indeed look like. These are some of the elements that I followed from Goodwin's Theory in terms of pacing tempo and relating things on screen to the words of the song being sung. 

No comments:

Post a Comment